A few weeks ago, a couple friends and I made the trek out into the Northern Virginia suburbs to spend the day at the Udvar-Hazy Center to watch the movie, Interstellar, at the center’s IMAX theatre. The Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Center is the National Air and Space Museum’s annex location, the main one located on The Mall in downtown DC. This was my first time visiting the Center (pronounced “ood-VAR HAH-zee”), and I’d highly recommend a visit, especially if you’re interested in space and aviation.
While waiting for the movie to begin, here’s what I found:
Entrance to Udvar-Hazy
Watching planes land at Dulles from the watchtower at Udvar-Hazy.
Birds eye view of one of the hangars at Udvar-Hazy.
The infamous Enola Gay.
An old Boeing 367-80.
An Air France Concorde.
The Capsule used in Red Bull’s Stratos Jump
The U.S. Space Shuttle Discovery
HOURS OF OPERATION:
- Udvar-Hazy is open daily, 10:00am – 5:30pm
- Using Metro, it takes about 90 minutes to get here from downtown DC.
- Watch a movie at the IMAX Theatre
- See the US Space Shuttle Discovery
- See the Air France Concorde
- See the Lockheed SR-71 BlackBird. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a pic of this 🙁
- Take the Silver Line to Wiehle-Reston East Metro station.
- Transfer to Fairfax Connector Bus No. 983 to Udvar-Hazy Center.
- Udvar-Hazy to Wiehle Reston: Buses run between 9:30 am – 7:10 pm, departing Udvar Hazy every :10, :30, and :50 on the hour.
- Wiehle Reston to Udvar – Hazy: Buses run between 9:00 am – 6:20 pm, departing Wiehle Reston roughly every 20 minutes.