It’s already been a week into the new year, but I wanted to take this time to reflect on last year. I’ve already done that for travel, but surprise to say, there’s a lot more to life than trying to fit in a new destination every weekend! Here are the things that really stand out in my mind from 2016:
- Made it a full year at my employer!
- Implemented nurture programs at my job, something that had not been done before.
- Completed my first two courses for a second bachelor’s in Computer Science. Two down, ten more to go!
- Opened up a travel consultation service!
- Have known my significant other for about a year!
- Was a groomsmen for the first time in my friend’s wedding
- Attended two weddings of longtime friends in one weekend: Saturday in Phuket and Sunday in Boston
- Trekked to Everest Base Camp
- Visited Cape Town and the Cape Winelands
- Traveled for the first time with my mom in about a decade.
- Visited several new places: Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Seoul, Grand Canyon, Dallas
- Attended NYC, DC and Chicago Pride; was on the Google parade float at NYC Pride
- Paid off $8.5k towards my student loan debt. (Have about $14k left, originally $85k)
- Contributed about $9k towards my retirement accounts
- Increased my contributions to max out my 403(b) and 457(b) accounts in 2017
Health & Fitness:
- Ran three races this year: Brooklyn 15k, Philadelphia and Brooklyn Rock N Roll Half-Marathons.
- Set a PR this year on my half marathon time (2hr 15min)
- Walked or ran a total of 216.23 miles, over 55 days, for a total of 35hr 31min and 44 sec.
- Maintained a fairly regular and consistent exercise routine throughout the year.
- Maintained a consistent weight throughout the year (~120 lbs)
I don’t really believe in resolutions per se, but these are some of the things that I’m looking forward to working on an improving in this new year:
- Improve my Mandarin Chinese. I majored in Chinese in undergrad and studied abroad in Shanghai and Taipei, but have barely used the language in the last three years. I just signed up for GLN’s Nearly Native Mandarin Chinese class beginning in February!
- Set another PR with my half-marathon time. As of this moment I’m running three half-marathons this year, all affiliated with the Rock-N-Roll Series: Raleigh in April, Chicago in July and Denver in October. Really aiming to finally get under two hours.
- Learn how to cook. I spend way too much on eating out, and in the new year I’d like to prepare and cook at least 50% of my meals.
- Continue working towards completing my second bachelors in Computer Science by taking at least two classes per term.
- Continue growing at my day job and helping more people achieve their travel goals with my consultation service.
Despite the ups and downs of 2016, it definitely was a memorable year. Looking forward to laughing, growing, learning and traveling even more in the new year!